Hope you enjoyed the video! Here are some of the fun facts about Chameleons!
- The Chameleon’s upper and lower eyelids are merged and its eye can rotate nearly 180 degrees in all directions.
- Chameleon’s eyes can move independent of one another which allows the chameleon to look at two different things at once.
- The Chameleon has the longest tongue in proportion to its body of any animal. It keeps its tongue folded inside of its mouth like an accordion.
- Chameleons change color based on temperature and their mood. They can do this due to something in their skin called chromatophores which control their skin pigment.
- Chameleons are part of the iguana suborder of animals.
- There are 171 species of Chameleons.
- Chameleons continue to grow throughout their entire lives. They don’t shed all their skin at once like a snake does. Instead their old skin breaks off in bits and pieces as they grow.
- Chameleons diet consists of insects and sometimes birds (depending on the species of chameleon).
- Chameleons, as a species, give live birth as well as lay eggs. It all depends on the species of Chameleon.
- Chameleons are loners. They mostly live in a solitary existence.
For more fun facts and reading about Chameleons click HERE. http://www.livescience.com/51061-chameleon.html